Scholarship Drawing - Official Rules
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. PARTICIPATION IN THE DRAWING IS SUBJECT TO THE DRAWING DETAILS AND TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES. Void where prohibited by law. Subject to all federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances. Opportunity to obtain entries for the Drawing begins at [12:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time (“EST”)] on 08/18/2017 and ends at 11:59 p.m. EST on 05/14/2018 (the “Drawing Entry Period”). Sponsor’s computer is the official time keeping device for this Drawing.
THIS DRAWING IS IN NO WAY SPONSORED, ENDORSED OR ADMINISTERED BY, OR ASSOCIATED WITH FACEBOOK, INC. OR TWITTER, INC.
ODDS OF WINNING WILL DEPEND ON THE TOTAL NUMBER OF ENTRIES RECEIVED. WINNERS WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY/RELEASE OF LIABILITY/SCHOLARSHIP ACCEPTANCE AGREEMENT TO CLAIM PRIZE.
BY ENTERING THE DRAWING, YOU AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
- SPONSOR. AccessLex InstituteSM. (“Sponsor”), a Delaware non-stock corporation, 10 N. High Street, Suite 400, West Chester, PA 19380.
- ELIGIBILITY. The MAX by AccessLexSM (“MAX”) Scholarship Drawing (“Drawing”) is open to individuals who (a) are legal U.S. residents (or, lawful permanent residents) currently residing in the 50 United States, the District of Columbia or Puerto Rico who are at least 18 years old (19 years old in Alabama and Nebraska, 21 years old in Mississippi) as of the date of entry; (b) are enrolled as first year law students at participating MAXlaw schools; and (c) register on the MAX Online Drawing website www.AccessLex.org/maxonline during the Drawing Entry Period (“Students” or “entrants”). Employees of Sponsor and members of their immediate families (defined for these Official Rules as spouses, parents, children, siblings, and each of their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) or individuals living in the same household (whether related or not) of any of the above are not eligible to participate. Not open to students attending the University of Kansas School of Law.
- HOW TO ENTER. Students are entitled to receive one (1) entry for each MAX financial education module or workshop available through MAX (“Activity”) that the student completes. Activities are available online and in-person at the MAX participating law schools, and the duration of each Activity is approximately between thirty (30) and fifty (50) minutes. There will be five different Activities available each semester, with two (2) semesters during the Drawing Entry period, for a total of ten (10) different Activities that are eligible for potential entry (online or in-person). Participation in all Activities is free.
a. Students completing an Activity on MAX Online will automatically receive one (1) entry upon completion.
b. Students completing in-person Activities will receive an entry code (“Code”) that must be entered into the Student’s MAX Online account to receive an entry for the completed Activity. Codes must be entered by no later than 11:59pm EST the day before each upcoming Drawing Date.
Limit one (1) entry per person per Activity. Entrant may receive an entry for completing an Activity online or in-person, but not both. There will be five (5) different Activities offered each semester, giving each Student ten (10) total possible entries during the Drawing Entry Period. If a Student completes all ten (10) Activities within the Drawing Entry Period, he or she will automatically receive ten (10) additional entries towards the May 15, 2018 Drawing. Students will also receive one (1) entry for registering on MAX Online and one (1) entry after completing the MAX Survey on MAX Online. MAX may provide additional entry opportunities during the Drawing Entry Period, and Students will receive updates about potential additional opportunities to get entries periodically during the Drawing Entry Period. All entries will be tracked through MAX Online. Students are solely responsible for ensuring that all of their entries are up-to-date on the MAX Online achievements’ tracking system, and should contact the Sponsor at least seventy-two (72) hours prior to any Drawing Date if the Student believes that any entries are missing. Entries received from any person in excess of any stated limitations will be void. Any attempt by any Student to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple and/or different identities, forms, registrations, email addresses, logins, or any other methods will void that Student’s entries, and that Student may be disqualified at Sponsor’s discretion. Multiple students are not permitted to share the same email address or MAX Online registration account. In the event of a dispute as to any registration, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register will be deemed to be the registrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the address used to register for the Drawing. Potential Winners may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder to the Sponsor or forfeit the Scholarship. If you specify an invalid, non-working, or inactive email address when you register for an Activity or enter the Drawing, your entry will be disqualified and you may be ineligible to win. You must complete all required information to be eligible to enter. Incomplete, corrupted, or untimely registrations are void and will be disqualified. Sponsor will not verify receipt of entries. Normal Internet access, phone, and usage charges imposed by your online or phone service may apply.
- DRAWING DATES. Six (6) Winners (each, a potential “Winner”) will be randomly drawn by Sponsor over the course of the three (3) designated drawing dates (each, a “Drawing Date”) from among all eligible entries received during the applicable portion of the Drawing Entry Period, as follows:
a. December Drawing: Two (2) Winners will be randomly drawn on December 15, 2017 (“December Drawing”), from all eligible entries received up to that date, to receive a scholarship for five thousand U.S. Dollars (US$5,000).
b. March Drawing: Two (2) Winners will be randomly drawn on March 15, 2018 (“March Drawing”), from all eligible entries received up to that date, to receive a scholarship for five thousand U.S. Dollars (US$5,000).
c. May Drawing: Two (2) Winners will be randomly drawn on May 15, 2018 (“May Drawing”), from all eligible entries received up to that date, for a scholarship to pay for the cost of Winner’s 2018-2019 tuition up to forty thousand U.S. Dollars (US$40,000). Determination of the total tuition to award will be at the sole discretion of Sponsor.
Further details about prizes are provided in the Prizes section, below. Winners of the December 15, 2017 Drawing will not be eligible for participation in March 15, 2018 Drawing; however, all entrants will be eligible to participate in the May 15, 2018 Drawing.
- WINNER NOTIFICATION. The potential Winners will be notified after each drawing date by email or phone, and, except where legally prohibited, must execute and return an affidavit of eligibility (“Affidavit of Eligibility”) and any and all additional documentation required by Sponsor, in its sole discretion, by email within seven (7) days of attempted notification. If a potential Winner cannot be contacted after the first attempt to contact him/her, or if he/she fails to sign and return the Affidavit of Eligibility or any other documentation that Sponsor may require within the required time period (if applicable) within the required time (if applicable), or in the event that a potential Winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor will award the applicable Scholarship to an alternate Winner selected by a random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries. A maximum of three (3) alternate drawings will be held, after which any remaining Scholarships will remain un-awarded.
Verification of Potential Winners: ALL POTENTIAL WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY SPONSOR whose decisions are final AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE DRAWING. AN ENTRANT IS NOT A WINNER OF ANY SCHOLARSHIP UNLESS AND UNTIL ENTRANT’S ELIGIBILITY HAS BEEN VERIFIED AND ENTRANT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED THAT VERIFICATION IS COMPLETE.
- SCHOLARSHIPS. Six (6) Scholarships will be awarded:
a. Four (4) Scholarships will be awarded in the amount of five thousand U.S. Dollars (US$5,000) to be sent directly to the Winner’s law school, for application to the Winner’s student accountb. Two (2) Scholarships will be awarded in the amount of up to forty thousand U.S. Dollars $40,000 Scholarship, to be sent directly to the Winner’s law school for application to the Winner’s student account, to be applied to law school tuition (up to forty thousand U.S. Dollars (U.S. $40,000). If Winner does not owe tuition to a MAX-participating law school for 2018-2019 school year (for example, because winner withdraws from law school, or transfers to a law school that does not participate in the MAX program), the Winner will thereby forfeit his or her Scholarship.
Total approximate retail value of all Scholarships to be awarded is up to one hundred thousand U.S. Dollars (U.S. $100,000).
All Scholarships will be paid directly to the Winner’s MAX-participating law school. No funds will be paid directly to any Winner. If Winner’s 2018-2019 tuition is paid, scholarship money may be applied to tuition for the 2019-2020 academic year; however, winnings must be applied to tuition expenses. ALL EXPENSES, FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES AND COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ACCEPTANCE AND USE OF EACH SCHOLARSHIP NOT SET FORTH IN THESE RULES ARE THE SOLE OBLIGATION OF WINNER. No assignment, transfer or substitution of any Scholarship is permitted by the Winner and Scholarship may not be redeemed for cash; however, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any Scholarship for a different prize of equal or greater value, in its sole discretion. If, because of a print or other error, more Scholarships are claimed than the number set forth in these Official Rules, an alternate Winner will be selected in accordance with the winner selection method described above from among all eligible claimants making purportedly valid claims to award the advertised number of Scholarships available.
- OFFICIAL RULES AND WINNERS LIST: For a copy of the Official Rules, visit https://www.accesslex.org/max-by-accesslex. Official Rules will be available until June 30, 2018. The full list of Winners will be posted on www.accesslex.org. List of Winners will be available until December 31, 2018. For a copy of the list of Winners, send a separate self-addressed, stamped envelope to AccessLex Institute c/o Strategic Engagement, MAX Scholarship Drawing, 10 N. High Street, Suite 400, West Chester, PA 19380, by June 30, 2018.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS, PUBLICITY AND LIABILITY. By entering, entrants agree (a) that Sponsor and its subsidiaries, and all of their officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents (the “Drawing Entities”), are indemnified, released and will be held harmless by entrants from any and all liability, for any damages, injuries, or losses of any kind to person(s) arising directly or indirectly from the acceptance, possession, or use of a Scholarship, entrant accessing or using the MAX Website, or entrant’s participation in the Drawing or any Drawing-related activity; ; and (b) that participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and to Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Drawing. Winners further grant (and agree to confirm such grant in writing promptly upon request) to Sponsor and those acting under Sponsor’s authority, the right to use Winner’s name, photograph, likeness, voice, image, statements, and biographical information at any time or times for advertising, trade, publicity, and promotional purposes in any media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide and on the World Wide Web, without review, notification, approval or additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
Drawing Entities are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, stolen, misdirected, or illegible entries; lost, interrupted, or unavailable network, server, or other connections, garbled transmissions or miscommunications, telephone transmission problems; computer or software malfunctions or damage to a user’s computer equipment (software or hardware); technical failures; or other errors or malfunctions of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, or otherwise. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
ANY ATTEMPT BY A PARTICIPANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS DRAWING OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE DRAWING MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW, AND, SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO PROSECUTE AND SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be attempting to tamper with or undermine the entry process, the MAX Website, and/or the legitimate operation of the Drawing; to violate the Official Rules; or to act in a disruptive manner with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person.
If, for any reason, the Drawing is not capable of running as planned, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, void any suspect entries and (a) cancel or terminate the Drawing (or any portion thereof); (b) modify the Drawing or suspend the Drawing to address the impairment and then resume the Drawing in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; and/or (c) award the Scholarships at random from among the eligible, non-suspect entries received up to the time of the impairment.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND RELEASES; PUBLICITY: BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS DRAWING, PARTICIPANT AGREES THAT DRAWING ENTITIES AND THEIR RESPECTIVE PARENT COMPANIES, AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, REPRESENTATIVES, CONSULTANTS, CONTRACTORS, LEGAL COUNSEL, ADVERTISING, PUBLIC RELATIONS, PROMOTIONAL, FULFILLMENT AND MARKETING, WEBSITE PROVIDERS, WEB MASTERS, AND THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AGENTS, FACEBOOK, INC., AND INSTAGRAM, INC (THE “RELEASED PARTIES”) WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND SHALL BE HELD HARMLESS BY PARTICIPANTS AGAINST, ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURIES, LOSSES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND TO PERSONS, INCLUDING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, OR PROPERTY RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, MISUSE, OR USE OF THE PRIZE, ENTRY, OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS DRAWING OR IN ANY DRAWING-RELATED ACTIVITY, OR ANY CLAIMS BASED ON PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION OR INVASION OF PRIVACY, OR MERCHANDISE DELIVERY. THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANY PRIZE CANNOT BE AWARDED DUE TO CANCELLATIONS, DELAYS, OR INTERRUPTIONS DUE TO ACTS OF GOD, ACTS OF WAR, NATURAL DISASTERS, WEATHER, OR TERRORISM. BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS DRAWING, PARTICIPANT AGREES THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY INJURIES, DAMAGES, OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES TO PERSONS, INCLUDING DEATH, OR TO PROPERTY ARISING OUT OF ACCESS TO AND USE OF ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS DRAWING OR THE DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SUCH SITE.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING REGARDING THIS DRAWING, INCLUDING THE MAX WEBSITE AND ALL SCHOLARSHIPS, IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY. CHECK LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
- DISPUTES. This Drawing is governed by the laws of the United States. By entering, entrants agree that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of Sponsor in connection with the Drawing, will be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Delaware without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules, and any matters or proceedings shall take place in the State of Delaware.
BY ENTERING THE DRAWING, ENTRANT AGREES THAT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (1) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE DRAWING, OR ANY SCHOLARSHIP AWARDED, WILL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; (2) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS WILL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL THIRD-PARTY, OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED (IF ANY) NOT TO EXCEED FIFTY DOLLARS ($50.00), BUT IN NO EVENT WILL ATTORNEYS’ FEES BE AWARDED OR RECOVERABLE; (3) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN ANY AWARD FOR, AND ENTRANT HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO SEEK, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES NOT TO EXCEED FIFTY DOLLARS ($50.00), AND/OR ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED; AND (4) ENTRANTS’ REMEDIES ARE LIMITED TO A CLAIM FOR MONEY DAMAGES (IF ANY) AND ENTRANT IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR EQUITABLE RELIEF.
- Copyright ©2017 AccessLex InstituteSM. ACCESSLEXSM, MAX by AccessLexSM and other logos or trademarks herein are trademarks of AccessLex Institute. All rights reserved.