MAX by AccessLex - Scholarship Drawing Official Rules
MAX by AccessLex® Scholarship Drawing – Official Rules
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. PARTICIPATION IN THE DRAWING IS SUBJECT TO THE DRAWING DETAILS AND TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES. Void where prohibited by law. Subject to all federal, state and local laws, regulations and ordinances. Opportunity to obtain entries for the Drawing begins at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (“EDT”) on 08/15/2019 and ends at 11:59 p.m. EDT on 04/30/2020 (the “Drawing Entry Period”).
ACCESSLEX INSTITUTE IS SOLE SPONSOR OF THE SCHOLARSHIP AND STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT AWARD DRAWINGS DESCRIBED HEREIN. NO OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FACEBOOK, INC., INSTAGRAM, INC., OR TWITTER, INC. ACTS AS A SPONSOR, ENDORSER OR ADMINISTRATOR.
ODDS OF WINNING WILL DEPEND ON THE TOTAL NUMBER OF ENTRIES RECEIVED. TO CLAIM A SCHOLARSHIP OR STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT AWARD, WINNERS WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLY WITH ALL DRAWING REQUIREMENTS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, EXECUTION OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS: AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY, THIRD-PARTY AUTHORIZATION FOR SPONSOR TO RECEIVE INFORMATION FROM STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT AWARD WINNER’S LOAN SERVICER, APPLICABLE INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE FORM(S) AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND SCHOLARSHIP/ STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT AWARD ACCEPTANCE AGREEMENT.
BY ENTERING THE DRAWING, YOU AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
- SPONSOR. AccessLex Institute® (“Sponsor”), a Delaware non-profit, non-stock corporation, 10 N. High Street, Suite 400, West Chester, PA 19380.
- ELIGIBILITY. The MAX by AccessLex® (“MAX”) Scholarship Drawing (“Drawing”) is open to individuals who (a) are legal U.S. residents (or lawful permanent residents) currently residing in the 50 United States, the District of Columbia or Puerto Rico who are at least 18 years old (19 years old in Alabama and Nebraska, and 21 years old in Mississippi) as of the date of entry; (b) are enrolled as first year (“1L”), second year (“2L”) or third year (“3L”) law students at participating MAX law schools; and (c) register on the MAX Online Drawing website (www.AccessLex.org/maxonline) during the Drawing Entry Period (“Students” or “Entrants”). Employees, Officers and Directors of Sponsor and any affiliate thereof and members of their immediate families (defined for these Official Rules as spouses, parents, children, siblings, and each of their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) or individuals living in the same household (whether related or not) of any of the above are not eligible to win. The Drawing is not open to students attending the University of Kansas School of Law.
- HOW TO ENTER. Students will receive one (1) entry for each MAX financial education module or workshop available through MAX (“Activity”) that the student completes in full. Activities may be available online and in-person at the participating MAX law schools. The duration of each Activity is approximately between thirty (30) and fifty (50) minutes. Participation in all Activities is free.
a. Students completing an Activity on MAX Online will automatically receive one (1) entry upon completion.
b. Students completing in-person Activities will receive an entry code (“Code”) that must be entered into the Student’s MAX Online account to receive an entry for the completed Activity. Codes must be entered by no later than 11:59 p.m. EDT the day before each upcoming Drawing Date.
Limit one (1) entry per person per Activity. An entrant may receive an entry for completing a discrete Activity online or in-person, but not both. There will be five (5) different Activities offered each semester, giving each Student ten (10) total possible entries during the Drawing Entry Period. Students also will receive one (1) entry after completing a MAX Survey on MAX Online (“Survey”). If a Student completes a Survey and all ten (10) Activities within the Drawing Entry Period, he or she automatically will receive ten (10) additional entries for the May 2020 Drawing. MAX may provide additional entry opportunities during the Drawing Entry Period, and Students will receive updates about such potential additional opportunities, if any, periodically during the Drawing Entry Period. All entries will be tracked through MAX Online. Students are solely responsible for confirming that all of their entries are recorded accurately and included on the MAX Online achievements’ tracking system and should contact Sponsor at least seventy-two (72) hours prior to any Drawing Date if the Student believes that any entries are missing.
Other entry requirements. Entries received from any person in excess of any stated limitations will be void. Any attempt by any Student to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple and/or different identities, forms, registrations, email addresses, logins, or any other methods will void that Student’s entries, and that Student may be disqualified at Sponsor’s discretion. Multiple students are not permitted to share the same email address or MAX Online registration account. In the event of a dispute as to any registration, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register will be deemed to be the registrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the address used to register for the Scholarship Drawing. Potential Winners may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder to the Sponsor or forfeit the Scholarship/Award. If you specify an invalid, non-working, or inactive email address when you register for an Activity or enter the Drawing, your entry will be disqualified, and you may be ineligible to win. You must complete all required information to be eligible to enter. Incomplete, corrupted, or untimely registrations are void and will be disqualified. Sponsor will not verify receipt of entries. Internet access, phone, and usage charges imposed by your online or phone service may apply.
- 4. DRAWING DATES. Twenty-One (21) entries (each, a potential “Winner”) will be randomly drawn by Sponsor over the course of the three (3) designated drawing dates (each, a “Drawing Date”) from among all eligible entries received during the applicable portion of the Drawing Entry Period, as follows:
a. "December Drawing": Total of Six (6) Winners - Two (2) 1L Winners, two (2) 2L Winners and two (2) 3L Winners will be randomly drawn on December 1, 2019, from all eligible entries received on a timely basis, to receive a Scholarship for five thousand U.S. Dollars (US$5,000).
b. "March Drawing": Total of Six (6) Winners - Two (2) 1L Winners, two (2) 2L Winners and two (2) 3L Winners will be randomly drawn on March 1, 2020, from all eligible entries received on a timely basis, to receive a Scholarship for five thousand U.S. Dollars (US$5,000).
c. "May Drawing":
d. Determination of the total Scholarships and Student Loan Repayment Awards will be at the sole discretion of Sponsor and will be based:
e. Further details about prizes are provided in the Scholarships and Student Loan Repayment Awards sections below.
f. Winners of the December Drawing will not be eligible for participation in the March Drawing; however, all entrants will be eligible to participate in the May Drawing. Only one prize will be awarded per entrant per Drawing.
- WINNER NOTIFICATION. The potential Winners will be notified after each Drawing Date by email or phone, and, except where legally prohibited, must execute and return an affidavit of eligibility (“Affidavit of Eligibility”) and any and all additional documentation required by Sponsor, in its sole discretion, by email within seven (7) calendar days of attempted notification. If a potential Winner cannot be contacted after the first attempt to contact him/her, or if he/she fails to sign and return the Affidavit of Eligibility or any other documentation that Sponsor may require within the required time period (if applicable), or in the event that a potential Winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor will award the applicable Scholarship or Student Loan Repayment Award to an alternate Winner selected by a random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries for that drawing. A maximum of three (3) alternate drawings will be held, after which any remaining Scholarships and Student Loan Repayment Awards will remain un-awarded.
Verification of Potential Winners: ALL POTENTIAL WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY SPONSOR WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE DRAWING. AN ENTRANT IS NOT A WINNER OF ANY SCHOLARSHIP OR STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT AWARD UNLESS AND UNTIL ENTRANT’S ELIGIBILITY HAS BEEN VERIFIED AND ENTRANT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED THAT VERIFICATION IS COMPLETE.
A SCHOLARSHIP OR STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT AWARD “WINNER” IS A PERSON WHOSE ENTRY IS SELECTED DURING A DRAWING, WHOSE ENTRY WAS NOT SELECTED PREVIOUSLY IN THE SAME DRAWING AND WHO COMPLETES ALL SCHOLARSHIP OR STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT DRAWING REQUIREMENTS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, COMPLETION OF ALL REQUIRED FORMS.
a. Subject to the terms, limitations and procedures described herein, eighteen (18) Scholarships, with a total approximate retail value of up to two hundred and forty thousand U.S. Dollars (US$240,000), will be awarded in the following amounts:
ii. Two (2) Scholarships will be awarded in the amount of up to forty thousand U.S. Dollars (US$40,000); and
iii. Four (4) Scholarships will be awarded in the amount of twenty-five thousand U.S. Dollars (US$25,000).
b. Each Scholarship will be sent directly to the Winner’s law school for application to the Winner’s student account, to be applied to law school tuition for the 2019-2020 law school tuition.
c. All Scholarships will be paid directly to the Winner’s participating MAX law school for deposit into the Winner’s law school account consistent with the procedures of the institution for application of scholarship funds.
d. ALL EXPENSES, FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES AND COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ACCEPTANCE AND USE OF EACH SCHOLARSHIP NOT SET FORTH IN THESE RULES ARE THE SOLE OBLIGATION OF WINNER. Each Winner should consult appropriate tax advisers about any tax liability that may be associated with acceptance of Scholarships. No assignment, transfer or substitution of any Scholarship is permitted by the Winner and Scholarship may not be redeemed for cash; however, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any Scholarship for a different prize of equal or greater value, in its sole discretion.
e. If a Winner does not owe tuition to a MAX-participating law school for the 2019-2020 school year (for example, because Winner withdraws from law school, or transfers to a law school that does not participate in the MAX program), the Winner will thereby forfeit his or her Scholarship.
f. f. No assignment, transfer or substitution of any Scholarship, in whole or in part, is permitted by a Winner. A Scholarship is only payable as described herein and in no case will any payments be made directly to any Winner.
g. g. If Winner’s 2019-2020 tuition is paid, scholarship money may be applied to tuition for the 2020-2021 academic year; however, winnings must be applied to tuition expenses.
h. h. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any Scholarship for a different prize of equal or greater value, in its sole discretion.
- Student Loan Repayment Awards.
a. Subject to the terms, limitations and procedures described herein, three (3) Student Loan Repayment Awards, with a total approximate retail value of up to ninety-thousand U.S. Dollars (US$90,000), will be awarded in the following amounts:
b. Each Student Loan Repayment Award will be paid directly by the Sponsor to each Winner’s student loan servicer(s) for application to the Winner’s Law School Loan Balance.
c. No payment(s) with respect to any Winner will be made until:
d. ALL EXPENSES, FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES AND COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ACCEPTANCE AND USE OF EACH STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT AWARD ARE THE SOLE OBLIGATION OF WINNER. While each Winner should consult appropriate tax advisers about any tax liability that may be associated with acceptance of Student Loan Repayment Awards, Sponsor understands that the Student Loan Repayment Awards likely will be taxable to Winners under federal law. Therefore, each Winner may opt to have a percentage (established by Sponsor in its sole discretion) of Winner’s Student Loan Repayment Award withheld from any payment(s) made to Winner’s student loan servicer and remitted to the applicable taxing authorities in the time and manner required by applicable law (“Tax Withholding Option”). Sponsor will offer the Tax Withholding Option as a courtesy and does not represent or warrant that any monies so withheld and remitted will equal the actual tax liability that may be incurred by any Winner.
e. If a Winner’s Law School Loan Balance is less than the maximum value of the applicable Student Loan Repayment Award, the amount of the Winner’s Student Loan Repayment Award will be the Winner’s Law School Loan Balance. For example, a Winner with a $0 Law School Loan Balance would receive a $0 Student Loan Repayment Award.
f. No assignment, transfer or substitution of any Student Loan Repayment Award, in whole or part, is permitted by a Winner. A Student Loan Repayment Award is only payable as described herein, and in no case will any payments be made directly to any Winner.
- Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any Student Loan Repayment Award for a different prize of equal or greater value, in its sole discretion. OFFICIAL RULES AND WINNERS LIST: for a copy of the Official Rules, visit https://www.accesslex.org/max-by-accesslex. Official Rules will be available until July 31, 2020. The full list of Winners will be posted on www.accesslex.org. List of Winners will be available until December 31, 2020. For a copy of the list of Winners, send a separate self-addressed, stamped envelope to AccessLex Institute c/o Strategic Engagement, MAX Scholarship Drawing, 10 N. High Street, Suite 400, West Chester, PA 19380, by July 31, 2020.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS, PUBLICITY AND LIABILITY. By entering, entrants agree (a) that Sponsor and its subsidiaries, and all of their officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents (the “Drawing Entities”), are indemnified, released and will be held harmless by entrants from any and all liability, for any damages, injuries, or losses of any kind to person(s) arising directly or indirectly from the acceptance, possession, or use of a Scholarship or Student Loan Repayment Award, entrant accessing or using the MAX Website, or entrant’s participation in the Drawing or any Drawing-related activity; and (b) that participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and to Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Drawing. Winners further grant (and agree to confirm such grant in writing promptly upon request) to Sponsor and those acting under Sponsor’s authority, the right to use Winner’s name, photograph, likeness, voice, image, statements, and biographical information at any time or times for advertising, trade, publicity, and promotional purposes in any media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide and on the World Wide Web, without review, notification, approval or additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
Neither Sponsor nor Drawing Entities are responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, stolen, misdirected, or illegible entries; lost, interrupted, or unavailable network, server, or other connections, garbled transmissions or miscommunications, telephone transmission problems; computer or software malfunctions or damage to a user’s computer equipment (software or hardware); technical failures; or other errors or malfunctions of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, or otherwise. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of this provision.
ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS DRAWING OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE DRAWING MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW, AND, SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO PROSECUTE AND SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be attempting to tamper with or undermine the entry process, the MAX Website, and/or the legitimate operation of the Drawing; to violate the Official Rules; or to act in a disruptive manner with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person.
If, for any reason, the Drawing is not capable of running as planned, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, void any suspect entries and (a) cancel or terminate the Drawing (or any portion thereof); (b) modify the Drawing or suspend the Drawing to address the impairment and then resume the Drawing in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; and/or (c) award the Scholarships/Awards at random from among the eligible, non-suspect entries received up to the time of the impairment.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND RELEASES; PUBLICITY: BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS DRAWING, ENTRANT AGREES THAT DRAWING ENTITIES AND THEIR RESPECTIVE PARENT COMPANIES, AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, REPRESENTATIVES, CONSULTANTS, CONTRACTORS, LEGAL COUNSEL, ADVERTISING, PUBLIC RELATIONS, PROMOTIONAL, FULFILLMENT AND MARKETING, WEBSITE PROVIDERS, WEB MASTERS, AND THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AGENTS, FACEBOOK, INC., TWITTER, INC., AND INSTAGRAM, INC. (THE “RELEASED PARTIES”) WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND SHALL BE HELD HARMLESS BY ENTRANTS AGAINST, ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURIES, LOSSES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND TO PERSONS, INCLUDING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, OR PROPERTY RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, MISUSE, OR USE OF THE PRIZE, ENTRY, OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS DRAWING OR IN ANY DRAWING-RELATED ACTIVITY, OR ANY CLAIMS BASED ON PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION OR INVASION OF PRIVACY, OR MERCHANDISE DELIVERY, AND ALL EXPENSES, FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES, INTEREST, PENALTIES AND COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ACCEPTANCE AND USE OF EACH SCHOLARSHIP OR STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT AWARD. THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANY PRIZE CANNOT BE AWARDED DUE TO CANCELLATIONS, DELAYS, OR INTERRUPTIONS DUE TO ACTS OF GOD, ACTS OF WAR, NATURAL DISASTERS, WEATHER OR TERRORISM. BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS DRAWING, ENTRANT AGREES THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY INJURIES, DAMAGES, OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES TO PERSONS, INCLUDING DEATH, OR TO PROPERTY ARISING OUT OF ACCESS TO AND USE OF ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS DRAWING OR THE DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING OF MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM SUCH SITE.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING REGARDING THIS DRAWING, INCLUDING THE MAX WEBSITE AND ALL SCHOLARSHIPS AND STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT AWARDS, IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY. CHECK LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
- DISPUTES. This Drawing is governed by the laws of the United States. By entering, entrants agree that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of Sponsor in connection with the Drawing, will be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Delaware without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules, and any matters or proceedings shall take place in the State of Delaware.
BY ENTERING THE DRAWING, ENTRANT AGREES THAT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (1) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE DRAWING, OR ANY SCHOLARSHIP OR STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT AWARD AWARDED, WILL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; (2) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS WILL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL THIRD-PARTY, OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED (IF ANY) NOT TO EXCEED FIFTY DOLLARS ($50.00), BUT IN NO EVENT WILL ATTORNEYS’ FEES BE AWARDED OR RECOVERABLE; (3) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN ANY AWARD FOR, AND ENTRANT HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO SEEK, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES NOT TO EXCEED FIFTY DOLLARS (US$50.00), AND/OR ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED; AND (4) ENTRANTS’ REMEDIES ARE LIMITED TO A CLAIM FOR MONEY DAMAGES (IF ANY) AND ENTRANT IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR EQUITABLE RELIEF.
- Copyright ©2019 AccessLex Institute®. ACCESSLEX®, MAX by AccessLex® and other logos or trademarks herein are trademarks of AccessLex Institute. All rights reserved.