Impact Higher Education Policy Through Advocacy
As the 118th Congress begins work on its policy agenda for 2023, now is the time to reach out and make connections with your senators and representative about the higher education issues you care most about. From lowering interest rates on federal student loans to ensuring that federal graduate loan programs remain accessible, educating your Members of Congress on issues that matter most to you is critical. Establishing a relationship now before an important bill is introduced will ensure that your priorities are top of mind during negotiations about higher education bills.
But how can you be an advocate and make an impact on higher education policy?
- Make sure that you stay informed about the particular issues you’re concerned about.
- Check to see who your Members of Congress are and reach out via email, phone call, or social media to discuss your priorities.
- Stay in touch with your Members and their staff!
There are so many ways to stay informed and get connected, and AccessLex has made navigating that process easier with our #MakeTheCase tools that help no matter where you are in the process.
- Positions and Papers allow you to take a deep dive before your meetings on policy issues related to graduate student borrowing, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, bankruptcy, and more.
- Key Legislation will keep you up to date on what Congress is working on.
- Find Officials will quickly provide you with the contact information for each Member of Congress that represents you.
- Pre-written Emails allow you to contact your senators and representative about current education issues making their way through Congress.
- Advocacy Toolkit contains more information on critical policy issues and useful tips for effective advocacy.
You are an important stakeholder upon which Congress relies to advance the right legislation that supports students. Make sure that your voice is heard and #MakeTheCase!